During our cooking class in Chiang Mai, we made a wonderful Thai curry dish served over egg noodles called Chiang Mai noodles or Kao Soy in Thai. This has become one of our favourite Thai dishes – although we never successful ordered it in Thailand, I’ve made it several times since we got home.
I had to modify the recipe from our cooking class to account for ingredients available in Canada, as following the exact recipe in our cookbook made a very salty and spice dish!
For those that want to try it, the recipe follows.
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 2 shallots
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon thai red curry
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/2 to 1 lb of chicken cut into thin chunks (can also use pork or beef)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (about 1/2 a lime)
- 1 lb Chinese egg noodles – fresh are best, but any egg noodle will do
- 1 zucchini or Chinese eggplant (can substitute other vegetables – beans, bamboo shoots)
- chopped green onion
- chopped fresh coriander / cilantro
- Slice shallots, chop garlic, chop ginger, and set aside.
- Mix the Thai red curry with turmeric and set aside.
- Chop vegatables and set aside.
- Chop chicken and set aside.
- Heat oil pot – it is best to use a heavy skillet or dutch oven.
- Add a portion of the curry to the oil and stir until fragrant. The more you add now, the spicier the curry will be. Add a minimum of 1/2 a teaspoon.
- Add the shallots, garlic, and ginger – stir until shallots are cooked.
- Add the chicken, and brown (about 1 minute). If the pot is too dry, add a tablespoon or two of water.
- Add 1/2 the coconut milk, 1/2 cup of water, and simmer until the chicken is cooked (about 5 minutes).
- Add the vegetables and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add remaining curry and stir until it is well mixed.
- Add sugar, fish sauce, lime juice, and remaining coconut milk – heat until just before boiling.
- Taste – if not salty enough, add more fish sauce. You may also wish to add more sugar.
- Set aside – turn off the heat if the pot will keep it warm; otherwise, turn to low heat.
- Cook egg noodles per package instructions.
- Put a serving of egg noodles in a bowl, top with curry, green onions and cilantro.