We are carrying a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx, but Garmin maps are quite expensive (usually $100USD per country). Fortunately, there are a number of free maps available from various clever and dedicated people.
- Canada Topographic maps with roads from Ibycus Topo are based on the same data as on the 1:50000 Topo maps published by the Canadian Government. Only used a bit, since we have the commercial Garmin topo maps, but appear to be quite good.
- Greece Road maps including all islands from Robert Elsinga. Very useful during the short time we were in Greece.
- Italy Topographic maps with roads from italymaps.tk
- Turkey routable road maps from cgpsmapper.com which crash Garmin Mapsource
For other countries, Google, cgpsmapper.com and www.gpsfiledepot.com seem to be good sources.
Maps we haven’t tried yet:
- Malaysia and Singapore
- Thailand maps at Mapcenter2
- Jordan and Syria maps at Mapcenter2