In late 2007, Turkey took offensive action along the Turkish / Iraqi border. As a result, the south east area of Turkey should be avoided (the area near the border with Iraq). Turkey is currently listed as a country that has a high risk of terrorism.
Euros and US dollars can readily be exchanged. ATM services are readily available.
It is illegal to not carry photo ID. Consular websites recommend carrying a photocopy of our passport.
Public displays of affection should be avoided, as it is not acceptable and could result in a criminal charge.
It is illegal to insult the Turkish nation, or destroy/damage money.
In 2008, the following days are holidays:
- September 30 – October 2. Seker Bayrami. End of Ramadan.
- October 28 – 29. Republic day. Begins in the afternoon of the 28th.
- December 7 – 11. Kurban Bayrami. Also known as Eid El-Adha.
Rabies vaccinations are recommended.
Tap water is not recommended.
Bird flu has been an issue in south-eastern Turkey (same area as the Iraqi border).
South-eastern Turkey is a Malaria area May to October.
Avoid accepting food or drink from strangers.
Tourist visas are required for Turkey. Visas can be purchased at border crossing. Ensure that immigration at the border stamps your passport. Failing to have a stamp can cause large fines and detentions when attempting to leave the country.
Visas are more expensive in Canada than they are at the border. Currently, the cost for a Visa is $60 USD or 45 Euro (cash required).
Check the following websites for travel advisories:
- Turkey link on Canada’s Foreign Affairs site.
- Turkey link on UK Government site.
- Turkey link on the Australian government site.
- Turkey link on the US government site.
Canadian embassies in Turkey are as following:
Turkey – ISTANBUL, Consulate of Canada
Istiklal Caddesi No. 189/5, Beyoglu, 34433 Istanbul
Phone:90 (212) 251-9838
Emergency toll-free to Ottawa: 00800-14-220-0149
Fax: 90 (212) 251-9888
The Turkish embassy in Ottawa is located at:
Embassy of the Republic of Turkey
197 Wurtemburg Street, Ottawa ON, K1N 8L9.
Phone: 1 888 566 7656
Fax: 1 613- 789 3442
Cycle tour blogs
- The Dave and Suzi show, a couple of American’s cycling around Eastern Europe. There Turkey adventure starts here.
Book: The Rough Guide to Turkey.